How do I carry out a Speed Test?
If you’re experiencing buffering when watching online TV, or pages are taking a while to load, it’s a good idea to run a speed test to check if that’s the issue. When we at Skinny hear you’re having speed issues, we want to get them fixed up as soon as possible. We’ll need your speed test results to get a clearer picture of what’s going on at your end. We can then use this together with our line tests to find out the cause of the issue you’re having.
To carry out an accurate speed test you’ll need the following:
- A computer with an Ethernet port
- An Ethernet cable (your Skinny modem comes with two of these)
- Your Skinny modem
Please follow the steps below to carry out the speed test:
- Connect your computer to the modem via the ethernet cable
- Turn off the WiFi on your computer
- Open a web browser (for example Internet Explorer or Safari)
- In the address bar, please type www.speedtest.net as shown below:
Click on the map on screen and choose the New Zealand area. This will bring up a zoomed-in map. Position this to the Auckland area and choose the Spark Server as below.
When you choose the Spark server the test will begin automatically.
You’ll need to provide us with the download and upload speeds as well as the ping result. This can be seen in the shot below:
If you’re calling our support team, it’s handy to have this information handy so they can help you quicker. If you’re contacting us via email please copy and paste the result link from the ‘share this result’ option.